Resist Dye with Wendy Weiss
- Must be able to dress a loom and weave the warp we create on your own after class. We won’t be dressing looms during class.
- 2.5 Day Workshop (Friday am thru Sunday noon)
Learn how to prepare natural cotton to dye in red, yellow, orange, and purple dye baths made with all plant-based dyes from roots, flowers, and wood. Use your warping board to create a resist patterned (ikat) warp to dye in class and weave at home. Participants will learn how to bind a warp to create a dynamic resist pattern and learn how to treat the cotton with tannin and alum prior to dyeing to insure fast and bright colors. Participants will go home with a multi-hued, patterned warp of 3/2 perle cotton and dyed weft of 5/2 perle cotton for weaving.
Registration Fee $
Materials Fee $50
Materials Fee includes: $50 for use of all the dyes and dye assistants for the class, handouts, yarn to bind the resist pattern, a portable binding frame which students will be able to take home, 3/2 perle cotton for warp, 5/2 perle cotton for weft. Materials Fees are not collected as part of registration. They are paid directly to the instructor at the beginning of class.
Students to Bring
- A warping board (we need at least 1 warping board for every 2 people) Scissors Masking tape Black Sharpie Pencil and Eraser Rubber Gloves Apron Large Stainless Steel Spoon Three 1 gallon ziplock bags Close-toed shoes, long pants, and long sleeve shirt for dyeing day
- Masking tape
- Black Sharpie
- Pencil and Eraser
- Rubber Gloves
- Large Stainless Steel Spoon
- Three 1 gallon ziplock bags
- Close-toed shoes, long pants, and long sleeve shirt for dyeing day