Random Weave Basketry
- No previous weaving experience is required, however someone who is familiar with another type of basketry construction would benefit. The workshop will introduce some intermediate level skill as we progress.
- Moderate manual dexterity is needed.
- Hand strength level required is low to moderate. Some materials require being first soaked in water.
- Optional (Note): If incorporating the natural of palm inflorescence, this may require stronger hand strength.
- 2.5 Days
- Friday: 9 am to 12 pm; 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm
- Saturday: 9 am to 12 pm; 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm
- Sunday: 9 am to 12 pm
This workshop will introduce the beginner and intermediate weaver to Random Weave basketry. This basketry construction lets you work with a variety of materials to make an organic and freeform shape. The shaping can be geometric or organic and has the potential to be very organic in nature. Once the framework is established the simple tabby weave makes this a very relaxing craft activity.
Starting with a simple ball form, we’ll use basic filling techniques to build a shape using random weave. We’ll quickly advance to weaving a nest and/or wall pocket basket, with a shape built from a wire armature. This frame shape will be filled in using round reeds and later adding palm inflorescence for texture. On Day 2, I will show how to build a second way by using round reed and clips. The shape can be pre-conceived or formed organically and “randomly.”
Students will be working with round reed, wire and/or natural materials provided in class, and will be shown how to collect & harvest Florida Palm Inflorescence materials. Palm shoots will be available to weave with on day 2. Depending on speed and size, 2-3 baskets will be made during this workshop. Students are encouraged to bring in any soft or pliable weaving materials and embellishments from home. Surface design techniques will be introduced on Day 3 so you can add a final personal touch to your baskets!
Registration Fee $450 for members, $525 for all others
Materials Fee $60
Materials Fee includes: Enough materials to complete 2 small baskets and 1 larger basket: wires, round reeds, palm inflorescence, feathers, wrapping cottons, embellishment items, glue, hot glue gun, beads.
Students to Bring
- Old hand towel for drying wet reeds
- Sharp pair of hand clippers (Fiskars are good)
- Optional: any soft or pliable materials and embellishment items to add or weave into your basket: yarn, wire, twisted paper, beads, feathers, etc
- Apron (optional)
- Comfortable clothing is advised.
Nancy loves to ignite passion in anyone looking to explore the arts, especially within the fiber arts genre. Her teaching encompasses a lifetime of skill and techniques, which she teaches in combination with finding one’s own creative voice! Handwoven Basketry and Off the Loom Weaving, Wellness Arts, Mixed Media, & One of a Kind Sculptural Fiber Art are some areas she loves the most. She approaches her teaching the same as she learns: by exploring and experimenting with new techniques. Once learned, these techniques make room for creativity to appear - the possibilities are endless when marrying skill and technique during the act of making! Nancy's way of teaching will encourage you to think outside the box and pattern.